Daylight

This morning, I was doing the Leo Garden thingy, the usual stuff: painting names, putting the Leo Garden signboard, planting plants etc. Th...

This morning, I was doing the Leo Garden thingy, the usual stuff: painting names, putting the Leo Garden signboard, planting plants etc. The signboard, its supposed to be attached to a wood with a wire i brought along but unfortunately, i forgot to bring my scissors. I looked around. From far, a nursery worker was working on the garden. The thin worker is slightly taller than me, he wears an oversize crumpled cap and a shirt hanging loosely on him. He was squatting on a corner, replanting the ixora that i'd planted a week ago. His expertise, mud-stained boots and weather worn hands led me to assume he's older than me.  So i used my very the poor Malay language to ask him for a scissor by calling him "Encik". Nope. No reaction at first call. I raised my voice and called him again, this time walking towards his direction with my arms raised. Finally.

He turned around. His face is surprisingly young and innocent. Must be his bugs bunny teeth. Anyway. He looks like a local to me with his very tan skin which assembles the tribal people in Borneo. We exchanged a brief conversation, with me stammering on every sentences due to my poor verbal Malay. Ugh. So he went around and looked for scissors for me. And he came back with a parang. I know right. But we continued on with the wiring task. He stood there and watched awhile and offered his help which is so nice of him. Anyway that's not the point. In fact the point comes now.

He started talking in Malay. I kinda remained silent until he starts asking questions. So i used my Maglish to answer his questions. And from the convo, i'm very the sipek surprised and shocked. He's freaking 19 years old and he's omaigagaly one year younger than me. And he told me he is studying 1st year 1st sem back in Indonesia like me until... Until what? I remembered clearly. His face turned grim when he hesitantly told me he's been here in M'sia as a garden worker for 3 months now. His tone was low and emotional. And that makes me wonder. He gave up his study just to be here? He prefer to 24/7-ly stay  under the sun when he has a university to attend back in his home? No it doesn't make sense. He willingly came here? Or is it life, being mean to him?

I feel bad for him so i stopped myself from prying further with questions. ok, the real reason is i don't know how to phrase my question in Malay. Anyway. My point is, at that one moment and brief exchange of conversation with a stranger (yeah, i didn't even get his name.), I realized that i was given a lot of things compared to him.

Sometimes, we procrastinate too much and fail to appreciate what we are blessed with. We are given the opportunity to live in a comfortable environment. Knowledge, family, health, security. No hunger, or Hunger Games. Or war. Or anything that comes to your mind which you rather not to be with.
“Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the universe."
Kurt Vonnegut
I see this everyday around 6.27pm. 

To realize how lucky you are. How lucky you have been. And you think you deserved it. And you simply disregard it as if its part of the package to be born in a material world. And neglect your parent's sweat and blood to provide you shelter, warmth and love?

We are young. We are naive. But always look around you and DON'T assume you deserve these. Cherish them. Before it's too late.

You Might Also Like

4 Bo Peep(s)

Flickr Images